Dressing for Success

To continue my professional history, which is fun for me - a little walk down the lane - I was only 22 when I began my editorial duties at Cambridge University Press. Although officially I was only 'assistant editor' I had all the responsibilities of a full blown editor with about a quarter of the pay. Although at the time I thought it was exploitation, looking back I think how much I learned during that period. And the things I learned were not so much about publishing - as that's pretty straightforward once you get the forms down - but about maneuvering and getting people to do what you want.

A lot of it has to do with self-image, and the way you carry yourself. At 22, without too much money left over for shopping, my uniform was t-shirt and jeans. After all, that was my college uniform, and the uniform of the editorial assistants - read glorified secretaries - from whose ranks I had risen. My good friend Beatrice, wisely pointed out that if I dressed just a spot more upscale (she only wore Anne Taylor suits - but that's an exception in publishing too), I would get more respect. Taking her advice, I banished jeans from my wardrobe and went so far as to wear suits when meeting with the professor/authors. And what do you know - the professors stopped confusing me for their graduate students and I got a raise.

Its an interesting phenomenon in Israel that dressing down is considered entrepreneurial. I have taken quite a few (especially young male) entrepreneurs to VC's here and those wearing jeans, a t-shirt, sporting a closely shaven head, and very often an earring, were most interesting to the VC's. Its that self-image thing again. They are projecting an 'I don't care what you think' attitude which the VC's seem to read as oh, this person must be special.

Today I'm faced with another image thing. I cover most of my hair for religious purposes since I'm married, and only wear skirts. This labels me 'religious' amongst the secular Israelis of which most of the high-tech world is made. While in theory, they are not 'anti'-religious, it made for uncomfortable comments and had this tendency to steer conversation away from the focus. I started wearing a wig. The comments stopped - I was no longer 'different'.

Comments